Sunday, December 4, 2016

Hall's Gap and Mt William

A mob of emu (yup, that's what a group of emu is called).
The view on the way up Mt William.
View from the summit.
Banksia tree with cones.
An Eastern Two Lined Dragon.
The sandstone formations and the vegetation.

Sunday, December 4th.
I was really tired and stiff this morning. I got up later than I had wanted and had the continental breakfast in the motel. I wandered around the back roads for a bit looking for birds and animals. Then I drove to the cultural centre where there is a nice walk through the bush. It was here the last time where I saw a lot of kangaroos and emus. But because I got here well after sun rise there were no kangaroos but there was a flock of emus.

When I walked back to the car I decided to drive back to a turn off I saw yesterday. It said Mt. William summit. I had heard last time from a bicyclist that he had ridden up this mountain, so I figured it must be paved. As it turned out, this is the highest peak in the Grampian Ranges and has communication towers on top. They have a service road that goes to the top. The road up is quite scenic and offers great views before the parking lot. From there it was a three kilometre hike up the very steep road to the summit. My legs didn't really want to do it, but I just keep walking slowly and putting one foot in front of the other. When I heard that it was paved to the top I decided to keep going. Although it was a cloudy day, the view from the summit was worth it. I was the only one up there and I just sat and ate an apple, before making the long descent back to the car. En route I saw a small well camouflaged lizard.

When I got down, I drove back to Halls Gap and had a late lunch at a small restaurant, before making the drive back to Melbourne. I love driving out of town, but I hate coming back. I always find the highways confusing and it seems to take forever to get back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment