Friday, October 28, 2016

Week Four Term Four

Making shapes from four triangles.
Sorting the shapes...
Discussing how to sort them differently.
Cricket: batting...
throwing and catching...
fielding and running.
Steven Wilson and his band.
Paul, on the right, sold me the ticket his son didn't want.

October 24-28
I started working on geometry in math this week. I used the old method of folding a square into four equal triangles and then using those triangles to create other shapes. Then I had the students sort and categorize them. This lead to discussions on how to recognize, identify and name three, four, five and six sided shapes.

This week we re-organized the two hour Friday sport class with all the grade 3's and 4's. We divided them by house teams into four sports: rounders, volleyball, basketball and cricket. Don and I were in charge of cricket. Imagine me teaching cricket! We had them practising batting, bowling, throwing and running. Then they played a game called Rapid Fire where a batter had to hit three teed up balls in quick succession and the other team had to field them, relay them back and put them back on the tees to stop the batter who was running between the wickets adding up runs. There I learned a little bit.

I found out at the beginning of the week that Steven Wilson was playing here in Melbourne on Friday night. I decided to try to scalp a ticket. The concert was close to Flinders Station, so I took the train into the city. When I got there I found a long line of people waiting to get in, but did not hear or see any scalpers. Then I noticed a guy in line talking to his friends and in his hand he was holding a sheet of paper that said “Available, 1 Steven Wilson ticket $80” (this is $10 less than general admission). So I bought the ticket and got talking to them while we waited to go in. They invited me to stand with them right behind the mixing board where we had a great unblocked view. They were five really nice guys about my age and we swapped some war stories. The concert was amazing and lasted almost three hours. I bought Wilson's latest two albums, my first music purchases of the year. 

1 comment:

  1. At last, some proof that you are actually working from time to time!

    ReplyDelete