Saturday, October 15, 2016

Port Welshpool and Foster

Fishing boats in Port Welshpool...
and the harbour.
The hotel in Foster.
Scenes from the rail trail.




Saturday, October 15th.
I drove from Melbourne to the south east area of Victoria, to a small village called Port Welshpool. I had read that it was a sleepy little fishing village and the eastern end of the Great Southern Rail Trail. The village was indeed small, and I did see a couple of fishing boats but no activity. So I drove back to the town of Foster and got a motel room for the night. Then I found an entrance to the trail and got my bike out. I rode from Foster to Welshpool and back, about 40 kilometres. The whole trail is about 68 kilometres, but the problem is always that your car is back where you left it. It would be nice if someone would drive it to the end and then I could do the whole route and not have to double back. Oh well. I enjoyed the ride through the dairy farms and the local villages. It is a very peaceful way to ride with no traffic to contend with, no people and just the sights and sounds of birds. Good for the soul.

When I got back to the motel, the proprietor recommended a local restaurant, where I ate, and then I walked to the local hotel for a beer at the bar. Not too much happening there, so walked around the deserted streets of the town and looked at shops and homes before heading back to the motel for the night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment