Saturday, September 3, 2016

Mansfield

The bridge over the narrows of Lake Eildon, which is really a reservoir.
The highway bridge.

Part of the trail.
Views from the trail.

A magpie.

Saturday, September 3rd
This morning I packed up my bicycle and drove to Mansfield. This is the town that is at the eastern end of the 123 kilometre Great Victorian Rail Trail which goes from Toolarook to Mansfield. I had ridden from Toolarook to Yea a few months ago and decided to ride from the eastern end this weekend.  

I got to town about noon and checked on line to find a motel. I discovered that everything in town was booked, as this is the nearest town to the ski hills of Mt Buller. But I found a room at the Boonie Doon Hotel and Motel about twenty minutes out of town. I put the name in the GPS and drove there. Initially I couldn't find it as it was just off the road and the GPS was a bit ambiguous in where to get off the highway. However, when I finally found it I went in and told the motel owner I had a booking under Jarrett. He looked at me strangely and asked how I made it. I told him on the internet and he responded that his motel is not on the internet. We laughed at the situation and I had a good talk with him. I would have happily stayed there but I had already paid for another place, all I had to do was find it. He told me that there was another place just down the road with the same name. So I programmed the GPS again and went back to find it. Turns out I had just passed it two kilometres back. I found it without further incident and got my divvy little room with a nice view out the back patio doors.

After that I drove back to Mansfield and had a walk around town looking at the shops and waiting for the sun to come out and it to warm up a bit. When it finally did I drove back to the hotel and got my bike. The rail trail is right across the highway and I rode west. The trail immediately crosses a long narrow bridge that goes over Lake Eildon. I rode the trail for 20 kilometres on mostly flat crushed gravel past cattle and sheep ranches.

In several places I was dive bombed by magpies, which are about the size of crows. This is nesting time and magpies are notoriously territorial. I had even seen videos on the news in Canada of people being 'swooped'. It scared me a couple of times as they come from behind and all you hear is their wings behind your head as they veer off. I stopped a couple of times and got my camera out and hoped they would come but they sat in the trees and watched me. But as soon as I got on the bike, turned my back and pedaled off, they would attack again. They are smart, beautiful birds and incidentally have a lovely song which I hope to record.

I enjoyed the ride through the country, but had to turn around and retraced my steps back to the hotel. I was late afternoon and getting much cooler by the time I arrived. I went into the hotel and had a great salt and pepper squid dinner before going to the bar and having a couple of pints of the local beer. Then off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment