Monday, September 5, 2016

Bonnie Doon



Mother with joey.
Peek-a-boo.
 Trees drown by the reservoir.
 You can see the joey's legs sticking out of the pouch..

 The view from the Skyline Drive through Eildon National Park.
The Black Spur Road - wished I was riding!

Sunday, September 4th
I got up early and explored the marshy area out behind my motel. Then I loaded the car up and drove out the back of the parking lot which took me to a road that went around and down to the reservoir called Eildon Lake. From a distance I could see large white birds and with the zoom on my camera I could see they were pelicans. So I drove around to a vantage point where I could park and then walk down to the shore to get close to them. The were very large and beautiful.

I continued on the road which turned to dirt and went further around the lake. I found a spot where there were a number of drown trees standing in the water, and then between two hills, I could see a kangaroo looking down at me from one of them and when I stopped and tapped the horn, a number of them peered over the edge.

I had decided to ride some more today, but it was pretty cool and I was enjoying the driving and exploring, so I continued south to Alexandra, past sheep and cattle ranches and then followed signs to Lake Eildon National Park. This is another area of the same large reservoir that I cycled past and slept beside. I found the huge dam that blocks the valley and flooded the valleys upstream and I came across a large marina where people have large houseboats that they use as summer homes and to float and cruise around the reservoir. I drove through the park on the Skyline Drive and saw some beautiful vistas of the park and reservoir.

Then I continued on home and drove through the Yarra Range Mountains and the Black Spur. This is a beautiful rainforest area with tall trees and tree ferns. The road comes out at the pretty trendy town of Healesville, where I had been a couple of times before. I stopped at the Beechworth Bakery for lunch and then continued on through Lilydale back to Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment