Friday, July 22, 2016

Week Two Term Three

The encore presentation of the First Fleet producion

 The students trying to make the shape fro the instructions written by the other student.

My first Australian Rules Football match at the Etihad Stadium.


Georga Carol Bev Adam and Mary.

 Monday July 18 to Friday July 22nd
Another week of school passed by quite quickly. I had fun teaching the students about fractions and proceedural writing. I had them create a pattern out of the six different pattern blocks and then write the steps on how to create it. Then I gave different students the instructions and they had to see if they could recreate the shape. Most were not successful as the instructions weren't clear enough or detailed enough. Good lesson. I also decided to read them the novel by Eric Walters, called Run, which is based around the story of Terry Fox. I am hoping to organize a Terry Fox Run at the school in September. We had several rehearsals this week for our encore presentation of the First Fleet play that Carol wrote. The kids didn't seem as into it as last time but they pulled it off for their parents on Friday afternoon. The weather this week has been milder than normal with highs in the upper teens by the afternoon, but Friday was really windy, rainy and quite cool again, but cleared in the late morning so that we could have our two hours of outdoor gym. Again we were focusing on track and field and Anne-Cecil and I were in charge of the hurdles.

After school I drove down town to the Air B&B that Bev and Carol were renting so that Carol's sister could have their small condo for the time she is visiting in Melbourne. There I met Georga (Carol's sister), and Mary and Adam, a couple of Australians who were on exchange to Richmond Hill two years ago. Mary is the teacher and is the president of ITA and her husband Adam is a bus driver. All of us went to the Australian Rules Football match between North Melbourne and the hated Collingwood Magpies at the Etihad Centre. Cassie left me a Collingwood hat when I arrived in Melbourne and every time I wear it someone insult it or tells me to take it off or that I have too many teeth to support that team. Although it is called Aussie Rules Football, it looks more like No Rules. It is a very fast paced game and most of the time it looks like they are playing 'hot potato' as they either kick it or hand pass (sort of a punch pass more than a throw) it to their team mates. I asked a person beside me to explain a few things to me and then it made more sense. The North Melbourne Kangaroos ran away with the game, although Collingwood made a late comeback to make it interesting before Melbourne scored a couple more goals to end it. They get 6 points for kicking it through the large uprights, or one point if they miss and it goes through the smaller uprights to the right or left of the big ones. The final score was 124 to 90 something. The game was interesting to watch and we had a good time. After the match we walked back to Bev's place for a date square dessert. Good night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment