Sunday, June 19, 2016

Weekend in Melbourne

The classic free city tour tram.
The mall of the Docklands District and the Melbourne Star in the distance.
One of the pods on the Star and the city skyline.
Etihad Stadium and the CBD.
A new development on the Yarra River.
Bolte Bridge over the Yarra River.
The CBD at Flinder's Station.

On Sunday I took the train to Flinder's Station the CBD (central business district). This is one of the major train stations in Melbourne and many of the train lines stop here. All train and tram fares are waved in the CBD. You can ride for free on any tram or train in the core. This is to help alleviate traffic congestion. There is a circle tram that travels around the centre area. I hopped on it an rode half way around to Elizabeth Street where I got off and walked three blocks to the Queen Victoria Market. This is a huge mostly outdoor market that consists of several areas. There is a fruit and vegetable market, a meat, seafood and dairy market, a clothing market and an area for tourist souvenirs and other items. There is also an area of small restaurants and snack food kiosks. I wandered around this maze quite happily for a couple of hours watching people, checking out things that were offered and sampling a few types of food.

The accident uber driver phoned while I was out, but I didn't return his call. I phoned Graham and told him the situation and asked for his advice. He told me to give my insurance company the heads up in case he contacted them by tracing my licence plate. So that is what I did on Tuesday.



No comments:

Post a Comment