Friday, June 17, 2016

Week Ten Term Two

The people next door are building another rental house in their backyard. This a common practice here in Melbourne.
These are very common cars here. We used to call the El Caminos but here they are know as bogan mobiles.

 A very clever and funny plumber.
A very interesting high rise complex.

Tuesday, June 14th – Friday, June 17th.

This week we spent the a lot of the week practising for our Inquiry Expo. All the grade 3/4 classes are participating in a play that Carol wrote and is directing about the First Fleet and the convicts who were banished to Australia which founded the country.

On Tuesday, I was dealing with two girls who passed out notes to all the kids from our two classes inviting them to a secret meeting where they were going to ask everyone to exclude a boy from everything. I got wind of it because a girl came up and told me about it, so I was able to nip it in the bud.

On Thursday we had a rainy day lunch period indoors and right after the two girls came out of the VP's office they started writing notes about having sex with boys. I found these notes on the desk of one of the girls when I was closing the class for the night. So on Friday I kept them in for recess and had to talk to them about how it was normal to start to have interest and feelings about boys, but writing these notes was not good and a waste their time at school. I told them I will share them with their parents to tell them what their kids are doing and that they are becoming pubescent.

On Friday for the morning meeting, no admin showed up and since I was sitting in front of the announcement book, they told me to run the meeting. So I lead them in happy birthday to Angelique and then announced there was a morning tea for our supply principal whose term was up. She came in just then and saw I was running the meeting so she asked who was away, I said all the Canadians are here but I don't know about the Australians. Then I asked her if she had enjoyed her stay and if there was any of our little darlings she would like to take back to her school.....

On Thursday I booked a flight to Cairns and a rental car for my trip to Queensland and realized that my driver's licence expired in April! I remember renewing it at home but I didn't have the card. So I phoned dad and had him check my mail and sure enough it was there. So asked him to send it to me as quickly as possible. He mailed it on Friday.


On Friday on the way home it was raining and dark. I was behind a bus that was stopping and tried to pull out around it at the same time as a guy behind me did the same thing and he bumped into me. I was really upset by it because I have been so careful here and have made sure not to speed and here I was in a minor fender bender. I was also acutely aware that my driver's licence was expired! We both pulled off the road and checked the damage. His front bumper was scratched and dented and the bottom of my driver's door was pushed in. He asked me why I didn't see him, although in hindsight he should have seen me. We came into my car to get out of the rain, told me he had a fare in his car because he was an uber driver, took my name and phone number and took off. No police, no exchange of insurance information. I went home and spent the evening stewing, but he didn't phone me. In fact he didn't phone until Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment