Monday, June 13, 2016

Touring Canberra

Questacon, the Canberra Science Centre.
The Mint.
'Free admission, free tours, no free samples'.
The National Art Gallery and the beautiful sphere.
A large castle made of leather.
Some of the masks of an artist who despairs of the history and future of the world.
A creative use of sardine cans.

Monday, June 13th.
This morning I continued my exploration of Canberra. The first stop was to Questacon which is their science centre, where there was an exhibition on spiders. It was very interesting and had lots of information about the various types of spiders as well as about the two very deadly ones here in Australia, the red back and the funnel web. But, as with all science centres, there were too many kids, so I didn't stay too long.

From there I went to the Royal Australian Mint and saw where the coins are made for Australia and a very other countries. The guide explained that the world is using less coins because of the internet and credit and debit cards, but there is an increase in coin collecting and specialty coin manufacture which keeps them busy.

Next I drove to the National Art Gallery. This is a beautiful building which has a large variety of paintings and ceramics. I wandered around checking out all the galleries from classic to ultra modern. I have little understanding or interest in art, but I found the museum beautiful with many interesting exhibits.

After that I grabbed a specialty sandwich from a small market before beginning the long drive home. I left at 2:30 and arrived back home by 9:30. Most of the drive was in the dark and thankfully I saw no kangaroos or wombats on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment