Thursday, June 30, 2016

Great Barrier Reef

The Passions Of Paradise catamaran.

In the Coral Sea.

A parrot fish.
A giant clam at least a metre across.
The bird sanctuary of Michaelmas Cay.

Feeding time.

Thursday, June 30th
I was up early for a trip on the Coral Sea to the Great Barrier Reef. I drove into town and parked by the harbour where I signed in and boarded the large catamaran Passions Of Paradise. There were about fifteen companies and boats at the dock that could acommodate hundreds of people Some of the boats take a couple of hundred people The one I booked is one of the last locally owned companies and only takes 80 people. We sailed for two hours to the outer reef. The sea was not too rough and no one got seasick. On the boat I got talking to two middle aged guys who are traveling with their families. They are both in education as well and we talked about lots of things as we sailed. One guy, Mark, is a Collingwood footie fan and the other guy, Andrew, barracks (Australian for roots for which has a very different and rude meaning here) for Melbourne, mortal enemies of Collingwood. I explained how Cassie left me a Collingwood hat and that I've been insulted about it several ties on my travels. Andrew said give it back.

Before we got there one of the guides told us “Don't to touch anything because we are in Australia afterall and it may harm you or you could hurt it”.

When we got to the reef some people did diving and the rest of us had two hours to float and swim around the formations. There were lots of different kinds of corals and fish. I had a digital underwater camera and took lots of photos.

We boarded the boat again and had an excellent buffet lunch with lots of salads fruit and a chicken or vegetable curry and rice. Then we motored for a half hour to Michaelmas Cay. The boat moored off the island and we snorkeled to it following the reef to the beach and seeing the variety of fish and corals. The island is a bird and turtle sanctuary and we are only able to walk on a small part of it but I did take photos of the birds and their chicks. There were a few brown gannets there too. Then I snorkeled back to the boat. We saw a large nuber of large fish under the boat who went crazy when the crew threw some food overboard for them.

As we were sailing back one of the guides gave a great presentation about some of the creatures of the reef, the fate of sharks and the state of the reef.

The reef is still beautiful but there is no doubt that it is in trouble like reefs around the world. There were sections of bleached coral and areas that appeared dead or dying. The cause of this is the change in water temperature cause by global warming. Although there were lots of fish I didn't see the large schools I thought I would and I saw none of the big creatures I was hoping to see: turtles (which nest of the island), rays, sharks, groupers, etcetra.

The Cairns Colonial Club Resort is a really interesting place. It is like an all inclusive Caribbean resort complete with palm trees, tropical plants and pools, except, it is not on the ocean. It is just outside of Cairns in a suburb called Manunda. It is a large confusing complex with many blocks of rooms. There are lots of Asian here who are on package tours. I found my room eventually out it the far corner.

I finally heard the song of the kookaburra as there were five of the sitting on a TV antenae. It does sound like a laugh similar to a pack of hyeana. Then I went to the restaurant for the cold buffet of salads after which I sat in the lobby typing up my journal, e-mailing and putting up a couple of posts on the blog because the internet doesn't work in my remote room.

No comments:

Post a Comment