Saturday, May 14, 2016

Nagambie

The main drag of Nagambie.
Skul races.
A monkey puzzle tree. They have very sharp and hard needles that supposedly bother monkeys, hence the name. They are not a natural Australian species.


Saturday, May 14th.
At school on Friday I was talking to Joel and he told me he was going to his family cottage for the weekend. He talked about the area and how much he loved it up there. They waterski and kneeboard and we had talked about me coming up to have a go when it gets warmer again. I asked if it would be okay for me to drive up there and have a short visit this weekend just to have a look and said I wasn't sure if I would actually come up or not. He said okay and he gave me his mobile number.

When I got up on Saturday and the weather was warm, I decided to go. I called him and left a message saying I would be there is a couple of hours. When I got to the town of Nagambie on the Nagambie Lakes (which are really reservoirs and not natural lakes) I checked phones messages and found this weekend wasn't good for a visit as his fiancee was sick. Since I was there already I went for a walk around the town. I noticed an ad taped to a store window offering a 'luxury condo' for a hundred dollars a night. I phoned the guy and had a look at it. It was in an complex right on the lake with a great view. It had an infinity pool on the grounds. The condo was really nice so I decided to stay here for the night. I spent the day wandering around town and along the lakeshore. I watched a lot of skuls rowing in races. There were one, two, four and eight rower boats. I think they were all from schools in Victoria. I saw an area where they are putting in a large subdivision that will change the area in lots of ways, both positively and negatively.

Later I lounged in the sun by the pool reading Bill Bryson's One Summer (fabulous read) before going to the grocery stuff for some breakfast stuff and fruit. It was a great day to enjoy the weather and just relax. The sunset was spectacular and looked like the lake was on fire. I had dinner in a local dinner and went to bed early.

1 comment: