Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Uluru or Ayer's Rock

 First view after entering Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park.
 From the sunset viewing platform.
View from the base walk around the monolith.
 Here is the only place where you can climb, but it was closed all three days I was there. If you look closely you can see the chains that you hold on to.


The changing colour and mood at sunset.

Continued:
Then I got back in the car and drove to the park to see Uluru or Ayer's Rock. The road was another ten kilometres before the park entrance where I had to pay $25 and then another ten kilometres to get close to the red rock. I parked the car and did about half of the circular walk around the base of it. It is amazing, awesome and huge! Really incredible and no picture really captures it. I decided to go back in order to get to the car parking lot for the sunset viewing.

It was beautiful watching the sun change the colour and hue of the monolith. The only down side was the flies that are after moisture from your eyes, mouth and nose. Now I know why they wear hats with corks attached (not that I have seen anyone wearing one. Lots of people are wearing mosquito nets). I got talking to two couples, both women were retired teachers from Melbourne. They gave me some ideas of things to do here.

Once the sun went down I drove back to the resort (gassing up en route). I found a place to part and went to check out something for dinner. They have a really interesting thing here. You got up and pick out what meat you want, they give it to you rare and then you barbecue it! Comes with a salad bar too. In addition to regular meat, you could order emu sausages, or kangaroo or crocodiles skewers. I had three croc and cooked that with some corn and onion. That was fun. After I ate that I sat and listening to some live music while typing this up. Now for a quick shower and an early bed with 19 guys.

A total of 681 kms driving today.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great sunset shot - very cool rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, just amazing. planning to go in 2017. you certainly have adventurous taste buds! Cindy W

    ReplyDelete