Saturday, March 26, 2016

The Spirit of Tasmania II

The ferry

Impossible to get a clear night shot with the boat vibrating!
My suite with three strangers.

Friday, March 25th,
It was raining when I woke up, so it was a perfect time to organize and pack. I gassed up the vehicle and packed up the truck. It cleared up in the afternoon and I went for a walk along the beach. When I went home I got an e-mail from the ferry service saying that the ferry would be boarding at 8 and leaving at 10, two hours later than scheduled. They also said there would be limited food on the boat and recommended that we eat before we arrive.

So I hung around a bit longer and then drove down to the ferry. I stopped in St Kilda and picked up a box of sushi and a drink. I had also packed a couple of bananas and apples that I had leftover for lunches. When I got to the ferry the line was long and very, very slow. When I finally got to the check in spot, they told me I couldn't take the fruit with me and because of the sushi I was given a quarantine sticker! That meant I had to consume the sushi on the boat and they would check with me when I got off the boat before I would be allowed to drive off into Tassie. The line was so long and so slow, I ate the sushi before I even got on the boat.


I finally boarded, parked the car and went up to the decks. I wandered around for a bit and went outside to see the lights of the city. Then I went and found my berth, which was in a room with two bunk beds. I met one of the other guys, another was already in bed. So I got ready and climbed in. I put my down jacket up by my pillow. I felt the boat rocking a bit, but I slept pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment