Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Golden Beach and Sale Common Nature Conservation Reserve

 Golden Beach
The rib wreckage of the iron clad "Trinculo".
Sale Common Nature Conservation Reserve
The boardwalk 


Sunday, March 6th.
I talked to my mom and dad in the morning via Skype and then I checked Google maps to decide where I might go today. I knew it was going to be a hot day so I decided I wanted to go to a beach somewhere but I didn't want to go to one I had already visited. I found a beach area called Gippsland Lakes Coastal Park. So I packed up the car, including the bicycle, and away I went.

The drive there was mostly along the M1 highway and pretty straightforward. The scenery was nice and mostly flat land with lots of cattle farms. I arrived at the town of Sale and then found the road to Golden Beach. When I got to that small town I walked over the dune to the beach and found a beautiful long beach of golden sand. I knew there was shipwreck buried in the sand just south of there so I drove to along the coast checking a few entrance ways until I found it. Because of the shifting sands of the beach moved around by storms, not much of the wreck could be seen. This ship was driven ashore by a gale in 1871 and has lain here rusting ever since. I was the only person on this section of the 90 mile beach. I hung out here for a couple of hours, getting in and out of the surf and enjoying the sun, water, solitude and the views.

Then I headed back to the town of Golden Beach where I stopped at a small store/dinner for lunch. Their specialty was fish and chips but I decided to have a burger instead. Mine came with bacon (more like peameal than regular bacon), cheese, a fried egg, fried onions, lettuce and slices of beetroot! It was messy but delicious.

After that I drove to another beach area called Paradise Beach. I stayed there for a bit and then decided I'd better head back. En route I stopped at a wetland area called Sale Common Nature Conservation Reserve. There was a couple of paths through the area and along a boardwalk. I decided to ride them. I got the bike out and set out on a 12 kilometre trail that followed a meandering river and through some marshy areas. I was the only person there and I found a number of different kinds of water birds. This must be the dry season though, because lots of the area was dried, cracked mud. I went up a small hill called the lookout. From there I first noticed the smell and then the sight of about 10 dead fish laying on the dried mud. They were about a metre long and looked eel like. They must have been stranded by the retreating water. As I was riding I scared a large hawk that was dangling something from its claws, which must have been one of these type of fish.


When I got back to the car, I put the bike away and headed back towards Chelsea. After 230 kms I arrived home at 9:30. I stopped at Woolies to get my weekly supplies and then headed home to make the salad and head to bed. 490 kilometres today.

No comments:

Post a Comment