Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Wheels

 My teaching partner Claire talks to the combined grade 4 classes we work with, total of 44 kids.
Would you buy a car from these guys? I did.
 Ness, the owner of Unique Cars and Finance and Josh, the young salesman I dealt with.
My Honda CRV under the carport outside my front door.

Wednesday, February 3rd.
It was raining this morning so I decided to take the train. Easy transit, five minute walk to the train, half hour ride and then a short walk to the tram (streetcar) and a five minute ride to the door of the school. I started reading John Cleese's autobiography, “So Anyway..”.

School was good. I have the first group of kids for five days and then the second group for the next five days. We change on Wednesdays. The last period of the day all the grade 3's and 4's go to the 'multi purpose' room for a singalong. The music teacher, Joel, who is a second year teacher the conducts all 160 students in song. Today he started with Frere Jacques (what else). He stood on the stage and sang in a microphone while all the teachers did crowd control.

I got a phone call at the end of the day that my car was ready to be picked up. So I got organized and took transit back to Mordialloc. From there I phoned (first time I used my cell outside) Josh from Unique Used Cars and he picked me up and drove me to the dealership. I signed papers and paid for the car before asking if I could take their photos. Ness, the owner looked at me a bit weird but agreed. When Josh walked me out to the car he said to me “You'd be surprised how many people ask for a photo, but it is usually with the car.”

Ness and Josh made the process easy for me, including the registration and vehicle certification, plus I enjoyed talking to both of them, nice guys. If you are ever in Australia, I recommend them. ;)

After getting in the right side of the car I drove off the lot into traffic on the wrong side of the road, drove for a 100 metres before using a roundabout to reverse my direction and head off to Chelsea. Signaling is on the right of the steering column and wipers are on the left as it the transmission lever. So the first time I signalled I turned on the wipers, oh well. Have to concentrate on the turns too and remember that the driver's side is always nearest the middle of the road. Riding my bicycle on the wrong side for the last couple of weeks and has got me checking over the correct shoulder and I feel fairly confident on the left side of the road. The inside of the car is incredibly clean and it has a good CD player in it with an auxiliary input for my iPod, bonus points.

I drove to Woolies again and bought more supplies which I could carry with the aid of the car. Then home to eat and do some work.

2 comments:

  1. Nice wheels Joe! Better than wht you've got at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - stay on the right side of the road - I mean the left - OMG. Just walk.

    ReplyDelete