Sunday, February 21, 2016

Road Trip Up Mount Baw Baw

 Over hill and dale.

 Toorongo Falls
 Great roads through the forest.
 Blue Rock Lake
This is the better part of the dirt road I explored.

Saturday, February 20th.
I slept in a bit this morning and then headed out for a road trip. I decided to check out one of the local mountainous areas where they sometimes have skiing in the winter. So I headed off to Mount Baw Baw.

It took a while to drive through the suburban sprawl of Melbourne but I finally reached the M1 highway and drove out into the country. When I left the freeway and drove north the roads became much more scenic as they climbed up into the hills. These mountains are like the Appalachian  Mountains in the States. I came across an old wooden trestle bridge that is not used for trains anymore, just hikers. Then I took a short detour to see the Toorongo Falls. There was a beautiful 2.5 kilometres walk to see them and the Amphitheatre Falls, through the lush forest.

From there I drove up the mountain along a very narrow, winding road for about forty kilometres before I reached a roadblock! There was a car rally going on further up and the road was closed for the day. So I never reached the actual summit, I will have to return another time.

On the way back down I took a different road and stumbled across Blue Rock Lake which is actually a man made reservoir. There was a picnic and park area there so I stopped and had some fruit I brought with me and a swim in the freshwater. It was a great temperature.

Then I drove across the dam and up into another forested area along a gravel road which turned into a series of narrower and rougher dirt roads on an alternate (unmarked) route up the mountain that my GPS said goes to the summit. I drove through an area that had obviously had a bush fire in the past. I think these roads were logging roads and I was getting more and more anxious about the distance I was traveling and how far I was from any help if I needed it. I didn't see anyone for the whole twenty kilometres. Then I came to a really rough spot and a very steep climb. I started up and then noticed through the trees that it continued going up around the corner. I stopped on the hill and discretion got the better of my FOMO. The GPS said I still had an hour of drive ahead of me and who knew what lay ahead. I certainly didn't want to damage the car or me, so I backed carefully down the hill until I found a part of the road wide enough that I could do a five point turn to retrace my steps.

I hit the GO HOME button on the GPS and two hours later it guided me back to Chelsea. I went to Woolies and picked up some dinner and the makings of my salad for the week. Then I watched some TV and read before bed.

3 comments:

  1. fancy wheels
    beautiful nature shots
    - christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. testing the blob comments for MCJ
    - christopher

    ReplyDelete