Sunday, February 14, 2016

Mt Oberon

 The path up to the summit of Mt. Oberon.


Finally the stairs.
Views from the summit.
The beaches of the south shore.


Sunday, February 14th continued.
Then I continued on to the Tidal River park headquarters. Here I learned of a shuttle that takes you to a hike that climbs to the summit of Mt. Oberon. So I took that. It was about a four kilometre climb up a gravel path to the top of the mountain. The view from there was stunning and overlooked both Squeaky Beach and Whiskey Bay. It was very windy up there and there are no rails to protect you from falling off. I stayed up there for a half hour or so talking to a couple from Australia and a woman from Hungary who is here studying. Then I hiked back down before I got blown off!

When I got back down I wandered around the Tidal River campground and saw the river which changes flow when the tide comes in and surges up the river (not while I was there). Then I drove to the Lilly Tilly Gully Boardwalk hike that the woman on the summit told me about. It was a pleasant, easy two kilometre hike to a boardwalk that goes around an area of tree ferns. Really nice and peaceful, there was no one there.

Then it was time to leave for the 200 kilometre drive back to Chelsea. The drive was easy and scenic and I arrived about 9:30 just in time to buy more salad fixings for the week, go home and chop them up before going to bed. (370 kms today).

What an excellent weekend of driving, hiking, swimming, exploring and enjoying Australia! 

2 comments:

  1. Well if you were to be blown off, I would think your pick
    would be into Whiskey Bay over Squeaky Beach..
    Meg. xox

    ReplyDelete