Thursday, February 4, 2016

First Drive

 Three of my boys. My hat fits right in here! It's mandatory to wear hats outside.
 The gathering place for the kids who enter the original building.
 Lined up on the stairs waiting to go to class.
 Huts on the St. Kilda beach

Also at St. Kilda

Thursday, February 4th.
I rode the bike to school again today. I had a good day with the kids and have finally learned the names of this group of 22. The staff continues to be helpful and ask how we “are going”. I met the cartaker and asked him for a good place to park my bike and he told me that there is a bicycle lock up at the back of the school. Not sure why no one told me before. He also hung up two hooks for me in my room so I can hang my biking clothes.
I told you that I teach two diferent classes on a one week rotation, but I forget to mention that when Claire is teaching them she is teaching the French curiculum (from France). So in actual fact I have to cover the curriculum in half the time that the straight Australian classes do. Should be interesting.



On the way home I stopped at an electronic shop Don recommended called Good Guys, where I bought a GPS for the car. Now I have a “there is no place like home” button to get me back when I get lost exploring, as I surely will. The salesman used another Aussie expression I had not heard before. When telling me that a particular brand wasn't any good he said “it's crash hot”. Add it to the list.



When I got home, I had dinner and then went for a drive along the beach road with my new GPS. This road follows the coast all the way into Melbourne, which is about 40 kilometres away. I drove to the St. Kilda and stopped to watch the sunset before turning around and retracing my tracks. Driving on the wrong side is not bad, but it is amazing how you are conditioned to do certain things like grab the seatbelt over your left shoulder, get in the left side of the car, look for the rearview mirror up to your right, etc. Twice I tried to get back in the wrong side, had a chuckle at myself.

Back at home I did some work, typed up the blog, read and headed to bed.

1 comment: