Sunday, January 31, 2016

Wheels and Baseball

Part of the Long Beach Trail.

 The Honda CVR
 Bon Beach Blue Jays
 Top men's league
Noel

Sunday, January 31st.
I have been mulling over getting a car or a motorcycle. I have decided to get a car instead because as much as I would love to have a bike to ride the countryside, it rains a lot here and the weather is very changeable. So today I rode my bike to go looking for a car. Found the dealer I wanted to go to on Google Maps and headed off along the Long Beach Trail. But again I got lost. The roads around here are not on a grid and in my opinion not well marked. It was supposed to be a 10 km ride and after going all around Mordialloc for 35 kms I finally stopped at a police station I stumbled on and asked directions. Turns out I had gone past Wells Rd twice without seeing it.

When I got there I met Josh, the young salesman who responded to my e-mail yesterday. He showed me a number of vehicles and we talked about my price point and what I was looking for. I had decided I wanted something in which I could carry my bicycle so I could use it in the country. So after a while I decided on a used Honda CVR. After discussing payment options and a year's warranty I left so they could get the car ready for later in the week.

I rode towards home again along the trail but unfortunately did not see the cockatoos. I did however find baseball players at the Bon Beach Blue Jay Field. I stopped and talked to two men about baseball in Australia. There are a number of different level leagues and I found out they play Sunday afternoons. I talked to Noel who is an ex-catcher and now is the base coach. He is the one who looks like Santa. We had a good talk and he introduced me to a Canadian from PEI who plays for them.

After that I rode to Woolies to buy a few supplies and head home for dinner. I spent the evening updating and watching Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray in the men's final, poor Murray, always in Djokovic's shadow.

I felt a bit like I wasted the weekend but I did accomplish two important things so that now I can be more independent and mobile and can make the most of next weekend. Next is meeting the students of Caulfield Junior College.

1 comment:

  1. So that's what Santa does for the rest of the year! Btw does anyone else find it kinda hard to prove they're not a robot???

    ReplyDelete