Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Cycling, Birding and an Aussie Barbie

straw necked ibis
Australian magpie
pied cormorants
Australian darter
pelican
Australian neighbours

Monday, January 25th.
Today I was a windy cool day, so I decided to go for a bike ride on a couple of trails I found out by the tennis court and the baseball field. I cycled up a crushed gravel trail along the Patterson River and past the National Water Sport Centre, where I thought they might have a pool. But sadly apparently it is only open on Tuesdays and Fridays during the day.

Anyway, along the water course and the wetlands around it I found a number of different water birds. There were very few people around. I cycled to for about 15 kms before turning around and returning. When I got back to the Sports Centre I rode down the other side of the river and stumbled across the Patterson Lakes gated communities. These remind me very much of Florida. The houses are all on canals and everyone has boats. Obviously an upper class community.

I got home about 5:00 watched a bit of tennis and fell asleep. I woke up to Cassie knocking at the door to make sure I was coming to the barbie. I had been invited to a barbecue with some of the people who live in this row of town homes.

We had dinner and they gave me a couple of boutique beers to try. It was a nice evening and I enjoyed listening to their accents and slang as they told me about all things Australian. Bed by midnight.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Joe I think you better teach your new neighours how to play Euchre They look like a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete