Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Australia Day

Frankston Beach
Some of the sand sculptures.

Jet pack riding, the power comes from a jetski.
The Frankston pier.
Aussies celebrating Australia Day in a beach shed.

Tuesday, January 26th.
This morning I went to the Woolworth's to buy the makings of my salad. I also bought a couple of containers to put it in. It's time to get ready for work.

Then I came home and decided to ride the bike to Frankston which is10 kms away, the next town south of Chelsea and the furthest that my train line goes. It is also where the 'bogans' live according to a couple of teachers I met at the ITA meeting. Bogans are Australian rednecks who apparently slur and mumble their words.

Today was hot and I worked up a good sweat pedalling there. The good thing about cycling in this area is that it is primarily flat. When I got there I checked out the beautiful beach and the pier where people were fishing or jumping off for fun. There were lots of families and friends having picnics on the beach. I watched a girl trying the jetski jet pack ride.

I also saw the Sand Sculpting Australia display which was billed as a trip through a sand zoo and was all about animals from the different continents.

I pedaled home again and watched the last of Federer's match before going to 'my' beach. It was much busier today because of the weather and the holiday. I saw some people sitting in one of those colourful sheds and asked what they were all about. They told me they used to be boat houses but now most of them are sheds where people keep they beach stuff and furniture and where they can hide from the intensity of the sun. I went for a short swim and then read on the beach before picking up dinner and going home to eat. I spent the evening chopping salad and watching tennis.

1 comment:

  1. So Joe just exactly when is your Christmas vacation over? I fear Maurene got the rotten end of the deal here

    ReplyDelete